Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lots to say

Well, it has been a while since I last said anything, and boy do I have a lot to talk about. So, yeah, this is gonna be a long one. Maybe. Dunno.

Last week I did great, I was working out and I was getting back into my groove. Then disaster sort of struck. I went in to get my IVC filter removed, as a precaution they always check to make sure there are no clots in the filter before they remove it. For me, however, there was. And apparently it was quite the big one too. At that point, they decided that instead of removing my filter, they would check to see if they could place a second one, why? Because apparently it had either grown beyond or started to push through the IVC filter, meaning there was an actual clot attached to the filter and even beyond. The sheer magnitude of how bad this is I don't was ever completely explained - but I am fully aware of what can happen. My grandfather died of a pulmonary embolism while in the hospital. Had the part that was beyond the IVC filter broken off, it could have been very, very bad.

So what did they do? Well, like I said, they were looking to put another filter in, however my IVC (inferior vena cava) was too wide at the place they needed to put it, meaning the filter would likely become dislodged and end up causing what it was supposed to prevent. So that was scrapped. They instead decided that they were going to admit me to the hospital. While in the hospital, they left the catheter that they were using to try and remove the IVC filter (which was in my neck) and used it, instead, to inject high power blood thinners right near the blood clot.

So, all of this went on, I was told I couldn't move, couldn't be sitting up, and basically had to stop whining.

I vomited some of the pills they gave me back up (which, apparently I can vomit and that is good news). Bad news is I didn't want to risk those pills again.

I was put on a clear liquid diet again, which sucked. I also have been prescribed lovenox (again) and this time I have to do it twice a day, it is 150mg (a huge dose) and quite frankly, I hate it even more than before. I thank the judge that prevented the makers of lovenox from blocking the sale of the generic version as it was 10 dollars instead of 100 (with insurance).

At any rate, the stay in the hospital sucked, and I got out Saturday afternoon - which was followed by a quick run to a sushi bar with my wife's cousin and then home to get ready for my son's birthday party.

The party was great and all, but I was still in pain and irritable. I had to take some of my strong pain killers otherwise I would have had to be on bed rest.

Now comes the good news, I'm going back on the 26th to get the filter removed (hopefully) and my weight is down to 341.6. It had gone up during my stay in the hospital, but I think I was retaining fluids as I was peeing like a madman for a couple of days after.

Oh well. I suppose that wasn't that long. I'm just a little frustrated personally that I haven't been able to keep up with my exercise (don't want to fall into a not-going rut) and all that good stuff. Had an interview last week, haven't heard back, hope for the best on that.

OH! And I had to go get my blood drawn today, at which point I got my A1C back... it is at a 5.9 - which is great (given my previous had been a 7.5, and they want you under 7.0). So, since I haven't been on a medication for my diabetes since August 3rd, that is great, absolutely great :D

No comments:

Post a Comment